Thanks for stopping by the Appalachian Beekeepers Club web site. We are glad you are here! The Appalachian Beekeepers Club helps promote healthy bee colonies in the Appalachian mountains of western North Carolina — particularly the Murphy, NC area.
If you are a new beekeeper, an experienced beekeeper, or simply thinking of becoming a beekeeper, come join us!
How to Make A Candy Board Feeder
10 pounds of sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon plain white vinegar (optional)*
1 teaspoon Honey Bee Healthy if you have it (optional)
*If you choose to use vinegar, add it to the water first. The purpose of the vinegar is to act as a mold inhibitor in the sugar.
- Pour a 10-pound bag of Pure Cane Sugar into a very large bowl.
- Slowly add the water/vinegar sitrring after each 1/2 cup.
- The idea is to moisten the sugar and get it just moist enough that it will form a hard brick inside the candy board.
- Continue to add the water.
- Mix the sugar until there are no clumps or chunks and you have a fine, moist amount of sugar.
- Line your candy board frame with tissue paper (or newspaper) and pour the sugar mixture into the frame.
- Spread evenly, leaving a semi-circle opening just in front of the ventilation hole.
For a complete tutorial using this recipe, watch the video by Jason Morgan in our Club Resources section.